To think that the loss to the Charlotte Hornets was ugly. This was worse. The Grizzlies weren’t playing with Jaren Jackson Jr. After 13 minutes of play, Ja Morant was taken off the court in a wheelchair. Despite not having their top two players on the floor, the Grizzlies shocked the Nets in overtime. In this version of Brooklyn vs Memphis, the Grizzlies finished on top 116-111.
The Main Headlines for the Brooklyn vs Memphis
- Ja Morant looked like he suffered an apparent ankle injury. He hopped off the court and needed wheelchair assistance off the court. He finished with seven points, three assists, and two rebounds in 13 minutes. There was no fracture reported and he is scheduled for an MRI this week.
- Kyle Anderson (28 points) and Dillon Brooks (24 points) combined to score 52 points.
- Neither Kevin Durant nor Kyrie Irving played in the game due to rest.
Caris LeVert Responds
- With both Durant and Irving out, somebody had to handle the offense.
- LeVert finished with 28 points in 38 minutes on 12-of-29 shooting.
- He finished with a double-double as he added 11 assists.
A Close Brooklyn vs Memphis Matchup
- The Nets led 55-54 at halftime before Memphis took a three-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- Brooklyn outscored Memphis 21-19 in the fourth quarter.
- Both teams had opportunities as the score was tied 106-106 with 54.6 seconds left to play, but neither team could cash in.
Chris Chiozza’s Season Debut
- Chiozza made the most of Durant and Irving’s resting. In his 27 minutes of play, Chiozza shot 5-of-14, including 3-of-8 from three-point range for 14 points.
- He added four assists and finished with a plus/minus rating of -9.
- The 14 points tied his career-high dating back to last season.
Brooklyn vs Memphis Game Analysis & Commentary
The Nets dropped to 2-2 on the season but it’s way too early to panic. Given that three starters weren’t in the lineup, we can probably relax after this loss.
Nets Weren’t at Full Strength
It may be easy to look at how neither Jackson nor Morant played and be upset about the loss. You need to look at it from a long-range perspective. Both Durant and Irving are coming off serious injuries. Steve Nash wanted to rest his two-star players. Spencer Dinwiddie undergoes surgery for a partially torn ACL on Sunday. That left three of the five regular starters out of the game. Looking ahead, the Nets will be fine.
Jarrett Allen Owns the Boards
This kid has a way of finding the basketball. He recorded 15 rebounds to lead all players. He currently ranks in the top-15 in rebounds per game despite coming off the bench.
Brooklyn will begin a two-game homestead on Wednesday at 5:30 E.T. The Nets play the Atlanta Hawks in both games. The next game against Atlanta will take place on January 1 at 5:30 E.T.