The Nets vs Rockets had plenty of hype going into it. With James Harden’s return to Houston, that was a big enough distraction alone. Before the game, Harden was hopeful that the city would show him appreciation but there was no way of telling how that would unfold after the way he left. In his return, Harden once again was the storyline in Houston as the Brooklyn Nets defeated the Rockets 132-114 thanks to a triple-double from their superstar.
The main headlines for Nets vs Rockets
Harden finished the Nets vs Rockets matchup with 29 points, 14 assists, and 10 rebounds. Since the Nets acquired Harden via trade, he has moved up the MVP ladder, making him a potential candidate among LeBron James and Joel Embiid.
Harden vs Wall
- It was no secret that Harden didn’t want to play with John Wall this season, which promoted some of his behavior.
- Wall’s response was a 36 point night that featured five assists.
- In the end, it was Harden that got the last laugh as the Rockets remain one of the worst teams in the Western Conference.
Nets vs Rockets overshadowed
- The Nets vs Rockets game itself was overshadowed by the anxiety of how Houston would receive Harden.
- On Wednesday night, the Rockets played a video tribute for Harden during the timeout; however, fans were still not happy.
- When Harden was introduced, he was booed and then more boos came when he first touched the ball.
- Overall, his homecoming was not well-received.
Houston is reeling
- Since Harden joined the Nets, the Nets have gone 17-7.
- That includes Kevin Durant missing half of those games.
- As for the Rockets, the franchise lost their 13th straight game.
- Their all-time losing streak in franchise history is 15 straight games in 2001.
Nets vs Rockets game analysis & commentary
Harden secured his eighth triple-double of the season after Nets vs Rockets. It was his second straight after recording 30 points, 14 rebounds, and 15 assists with zero turnovers in an overtime win over the San Antonio Spurs on Monday.
Durant out again
There is starting to be some panic developing among fans as Durant missed his ninth straight game this season with a strained left hamstring. While Kyrie Irving (24 points) and Joe Harris (19 points) stepped up, one has to wonder if Durant will be durable for the rest of the season.
Nearly three double-doubles in Nets vs Rockets
While Harden had a double-double of his right, DeAndre Jordan added 10 points and 10 rebounds in 29 minutes of play. In 16 minutes of action, Nicolas Claxton, the 21-year old out of Georgia, rose to the occasion with 16 points and eight rebounds. Bruce Brown added 17 points, eight rebounds, and seven assists.
The Nets will resume play after the All-Star break when they are host to the Boston Celtics on March 11.