Sometimes, it’s hard to tell if the Nets play better without their big three or not. After the Nets vs Clippers matchup ended in Brooklyn’s fifth straight win, it’s time to crown a true Eastern Conference contender. Thanks to 37 points from James Harden, the Nets stretched to 5-0 on their West Coast road trip with a 112-108 win over the Clippers.
The main headlines for Nets vs Clippers
The Nets wrapped up a successful five-game road trip that featured wins over the Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, and Clippers. The Nets vs Clippers matchup previewed a potential finalist for the NBA Finals. Even without Kevin Durant, who missed his fourth straight game with a hamstring injury, the Nets found a way to win.
Winning six in a row
- The biggest headline has to be how the Nets continue to rise through the Eastern Conference.
- A six-game winning streak can silence the critics in the words of Kyrie Irving.
- The Clippers win is the prettiest with L.A. having both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George suit up.
Taking care of the paint
- Irving scored 28 points but shot just 2-of-11 from the three-point range.
- The Nets dominated the paint by outscoring the Clippers 60-38.
- DeAndre secured a double-double of 13 points and 11 rebounds.
- Jordan’s 11 rebounds tied with Harden’s game-high 11 boards as the Clippers outrebounded Brooklyn 61-45
Closing out in Nets vs Clippers
- Leonard had a chance to tie the game but was called for an offensive foul with 28 seconds left.
- Harden sealed the game with a pair of free throws.
- Great teams are the ones that can close out tough victories.
Nets vs Clippers game analysis & commentary
The Clippers never went away, which is what you should expect from a title contender. In a seven-game series, this could go either way if Durant didn’t play. If Durant played, the Nets vs Clippers score might have changed. Who knows?
Optimism for the future
When the Nets originally traded for Harden, the smoke behind the drama around the trade was blinding. Now that the team has had a chance to gel together, there is hope this team could be special. The veterans in Jordan, Jeff Green, and Joe Harris are filling their roles. Bruce Brown could be a very solid player. It’s NBA Finals or bust for this team but now we are starting to believe it could happen.
The Nets vs Clippers dilemma
It’s the same issue that we saw when the Nets played the Lakers. The Nets were missing Durant, while the Lakers were missing Anthony Davis. At some point, playing 40 minutes each night is going to catch up to these veterans. The bench is weak and only played a combined 24 minutes outside of DeAndre Jordan.
The Nets will host the Kings on Tuesday. The Kings have lost seven straight and are 12-18 on the season.